Boat accidents are everyday things in the river or sea. However, sometimes the boats get stuck in the shallow water and may sink in the ocean.
Do you know what you should do after your boat runs aground and you determine that there are no leaks? Knowing when a boat is aground in the water is very important.
Moreover, most people don't have enough idea about this. But this is very important when you are riding a boat. In this article, I will discuss this topic and clear your confusion. So, let's get started on our journey:
Table of Contents
- 1 What Does It Mean For a Boat to Run Aground
- 2 What Should You Do If Your Boat Runs Aground?
- 3 How to Determine Any Leaks
- 4 What Do You Do If There Are No Leaks
- 5 Check Your Vessel for Any Damage
- 6 Take Some Precautions and Equipment in Your Boat
- 7 Ending Thought
What Does It Mean For a Boat to Run Aground
Sometimes the ships get stuck in the shallow water of the sea. However, the boat is too big or small for the canal. And also, the waterways are more superficial than you think.
A boat grounded is precarious. Because when it happens, people and people both are at risk. And there is a high chance of sinking the boat.
Moreover, authorities need to take necessary steps to prevent this. You can reduce the risk of this accident by using GPS navigation.
However, this is the best way to avoid the boat going aground. Therefore, the boat should change direction quickly. If this fails, you must hit the bottom of the ship with a hammer or blunt object.
What Should You Do If Your Boat Runs Aground?
If the boat sinks for some reason, you should search for the leak of the boat first. However, if you cannot find a leak, you can jack your boat up from the rocks and use a winch to free it. You must stop leaks if you get them. And also repair the damaged components. Let's know some precautions that you have to follow:
- Take your passengers safely and quickly as soon as possible.
- Try pushing or pulling on the propeller when your boat is stuck in the shallow water. Remove all kinds of cargo that can get stuck in your boat.
- Move the part of the boat that is less submerged towards the weight.
- Keep an eye out for ships and swimmers around you. Because they can help you in case of danger.
- If your ships get broken, get out of there as soon as possible.
- If you see anyone in danger, help them without putting yourself in danger.
How to Determine Any Leaks
When your boat runs aground, always check the leaks on your boat. However, you can find the leaks by inspecting the hull for damage.
Besides, check the bilges of water and wait for water from the engine. Leaks need to be fixed quickly before your boat sinks. You have to inspect your sailboat once every two weeks.
Moreover, you must repair leaks immediately if you want to use a boat for a long time. I hope you know what I mean. But if you aren't clear, I will give you some tips. Follow those tips to determine and solve any leaks. So, let's discuss the tips:
- Look down at the bottom of the boat.
- Listen to the dripping water sound.
- Look at the damp areas under the deck
- Examine ceiling and inside walls for moist patches
- If there are any signs of damage to the boat's interior, contact a repair company as soon as possible.
What Do You Do If There Are No Leaks
If your ships hit aground and find no leaks, then analyze the situation first. However, it would be best to calculate the time before your boat gets fully submerged.
Besides, if this is safe, dislodge your boat from the sandbar of the reef. It is not always possible to do this. In that case, keep the ship with a rope or anchor.
After completing every point, check it twice. However, If everything is okay, then go for the next part. Now determine where your boat is placed. And also, determine if there is a wall adjacent to your ship.
Now, keep pumping out water with the bilge pump. If possible, use a portable pump instead of a boat pump.
With the engine running and the water part clear, now return to the land. Sometimes the engine may have trouble starting. Call for backup in such a situation.
However, the company can provide a certificate if you cannot salvage the boat. But if it is possible to recover the vessel, repair it again. Then it will be ready to take off again.
Check Your Vessel for Any Damage
If you don't face any leaks of your vessel aground, then you have to inspect the vessel for damage. Because it must happen when your vessel goes aground.
However, broken glass spilled objects and fuel tank damage are included. It guides you on how you can repair your boat. There are four different methods of detecting the damage. Let's know about this:
- Your boat should have two feet of water below the engine block. If not, water has already entered the engine. So, stop the engine in time and drain the water if it accumulates.
- Now, detect the radiator coolant leak. Observe for additional problems if the radiator is out of coolant. And take a short test drive.
- Suppose there is anything that may cause problems with water movement, remove it quickly. However, any floatation device can be used for this purpose.
- Look for any broken items below the deck.
Take Some Precautions and Equipment in Your Boat
You will want to skip this ship leak. Not just you; everyone wants to avoid this. However, you have to take some precautions before departure on the boat.
And also take some essential equipment and supplies in the boat. At this point, I will describe to you the precautions and equipment. So, let's explain this:
1. Secure Your Boat
First, you need to secure your boat. You don't need to consider leaks when your boat goes into the ground. But your problem does not end. However, the problem starts now.
Besides, how close you are to shore is also very important. And this is very important if this is your first time. You also must ensure your boat's safety and make your boat ready after this disaster.
However, don't go anywhere before securing your boat. Otherwise, it will float another way. You can also solve the problem by using a mooring system.
2. Request Assistance in the Serious Problem
Sometimes the situation can go out of your control. Don't be afraid in this situation. And also, don't feel too shy to seek help assistance. Because this is mandatory in this situation. However, in this dangerous situation, you can take help from the harbormaster.
Moreover, some boaters don't want to be helped. But if you face this problem, it will be mandatory to take help from an experienced person.
However, you can avoid this situation if you have training in boat riding and boat safety. So, it is best to request assistance in a serious problem.
3. Towing the Boat
Towing the boat is another vital process. When your boat goes aground, you must tow your boat and ashore it. However, there are a few things you need to know before you begin. Let's know some tips:
- First, you have to choose the best towing vehicle. And also, make a plan for your towing approach.
- Must secure your boat before towing.
- Use a standard mooring ball weight.
- You can also use a tow ramp if it is necessary.
4. Clean the Area ofthe Boat
If your water crafts hit in the aground and without a leak, clean the surrounding area of the boat. However, you must clean all the dirt, debris, and draining water. And also, inspect the hull of your boat to find the sign of damage. Then you have to clean and dry this area.
Besides, you can use solar power and electric fans to speed up the process. You can use a blower and garden hose to remove all the water from the boat.
5. Run Your Boat
If you restore your vessel successfully, then you can run it. But before departure must double-check everything that is okay or not. If you find anything wrong, then you can repair it. You have to check it for your safety and security. Don't take any risk to your safety.
I hope I can clear your confusion. This is common when boating in the sea or river. Because most of the time, your boat runs aground and cannot find any leaks. However, people are getting confused in this situation.
Moreover, I asked what you should do after your boat runs aground, and you determined that there are no leaks. It is a common question that I got from my audience. I tried to tell everything about this problem-solving.
So, you can solve this problem if you read this article attentively.